The National Association of Employers of the Head of SA, Gerhard Papenfus, said in a statement on Tuesday: “The stoppage of wages at this stage will do no good to help Seifsa`s employers, who are again bound by this agreement.” He called the agreement “destructive, unaffordable and anti-competitive.” Numsa spokesman Phakamile Hlubi-Majola said on Tuesday evening that Seifsa`s proposal to postpone wage negotiations until 2020 and extend the terms of the current collective agreement until June 30, 2021 had been accepted. “This agreement was made necessary by the fact that Covid-19 prevented us from mobilizing our members to seek a mandate and from organizing the national bargaining conference to determine what the wage demands should be,” said Hlubi-Majola. Overall, all unions rejected the revised employer offer. However, some expressed support in principle for certain aspects of the offer and others expressed their willingness to stay in touch with employers in order to reach an agreement. On the other hand, nUMSA totally rejected the offer and formally requested the issuance of a certificate confirming that the dispute was not resolved. August 23, 2017 By: Natasha Odendaal Creamer Media Senior Deputy Editor Lucio Trentini Operations Director Direct Tel: 011 298 9414 Fax: 011 298 9514 Cell: 082 449 6270 E-mail: email@example.com As you know, the bargaining subcommittee created by the unions on June 15, 2017 to settle the dispute ended its deliberations on July 6 without agreement. The agreement culminated after four months of intensive negotiations covering the period from this year to 2020. SEIFSA Chairman Kaizer Nyatsumba described the agreement as historic. The three-year employment contract signed in 2017 provided that employees received a minimum wage of R9.56 per hour, well above the legal minimum wage of R20.76 per hour. The meeting of the Board`s management committee decided today (June 21, 2017) to appoint a subcommittee that will meet to resolve disputes notified by employers and all unions. Solidarity was pleased with the agreement and found that it would ensure the safety and security of workers in the sector, particularly given the weakness of the current economy. “We are more than in favour of this agreement because we have been able to keep the conditions of employment intact,” he said.
The agreement came into force on July 1, 2017 until June 30, 2020. The parties agreed that the wage component of workers would increase by 7% this year, 6.75% in the second year and 6.5% in the third year. “It has been a long and difficult process and there have been considerable challenges along the way, but we are very relieved that we and our working partners are finally reaching a historic agreement on realistic wage adjustments for the next three years,” he said. Kaizer Nyatsumba Chief Executive Officer Direct Tel: 011 298 9403 Fax: 011 298 9503 Cell: 072 177 8197 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org The 2017-2020 Metallurgical and Mechanical Construction Conciliation Agreement, signed on Wednesday, marks the way forward for Seifsa and five unions, the National Union of Metal Workers of South Africa (Numsa), Solidarity, UASA, the Union of Metal and Electrical Workers of South Africa and the South African Equity Workers Association. By SEIFSA 2017 Wage Negotiations Presented The Deputy Secretary-General for Solidarity added that the agreement could bring stability to the sector.