When Is A Material Transfer Agreement Needed

E. Another set of laws concerns the export of materials. Although U.S. export control laws allow most materials to leave the United States without a specific license, special licenses may be required for materials that could be used in chemical or biological weapons, including, for example, human pathogens and toxins. See COGR brochure, Q20. B. These concerns are less important if the MTA only allows research and non-profit teaching. However, it is often more permitted, at least taking into account derivatives that are neither descendants, nor modifications, nor derivatives unchanged. There are a number of important reasons why the NAU uses MTAs to transfer research material (and sometimes data), but the main reason is to protect the rights of researchers and recipient and supplier institutions. Below are examples of how MTA conditions govern transfers and inputs of materials. This list is not exhaustive.

An in-depth MTA protects a researcher`s ability to exploit and publish research, existing and potential intellectual property, and define the use of associated confidential information. The revision of a thorough MTA ensures that the terms of the contract are not in contradiction with the rights granted in other research agreements. C. Federal and regional data protection laws may apply, for example, to the processing of personal data and human genetic material. C. When it comes to for-profit industries or institutions, the typical MTA is not sufficient; Commercial rights are generally sought after, which often indicates that they operate on the basis of a standard commercial development and licensing contract. A researcher may use research funds to purchase equipment as long as the material is required to complete the project and the costs are an eligible expense under the budget approved with the main sponsor. As a general rule, sending materials for incoming materials requires the use of a separate MTA form. For the transfer of outgoing material, UH has standard MTA agreements on the DOR website to cover these materials. Whether the equipment is in or out, these agreements are negotiated by the research department.

A. After years of discussion, the National Institutes of Health published in 1995 “the final version of the UBMTA (“UBMTA” of the Uniform Biological Materials Transfer Agreement, to be used by public and non-profit organizations, an execution letter recalling individual exchanges under the UBMTA, and a simple correspondence arrangement for the transfer of non-proprietary biological materials between public and non-profit organizations.” NIH Guide, Vol. 24, No. 14, 14 April 1995. D. MTA can also be used by industry to provide, for example, their unique materials to universities for pro-bono research or as part of ongoing or potentially sponsored research, or to obtain academic materials for their own research and development activities. For incoming MTAs (since the owner of the research material determines the conditions under which he wishes to share the material with our university), the PI/PI department should secure the MTA proposed by the owner of the research equipment, if UCL materials are to be used for commercial research, we will propose an appropriate commercial license. If you need the assistance of an MTA for incoming materials, please complete the MTA application form above or if you wish to provide material to third parties, complete the due diligence form and forward it to mtateam@uclb.com.